Safe Environment Volunteer Toolkit
Adult Volunteer Requirements
Requirements for those with access to minors or vulnerable adults
- Background check completed on or before the first day of service and every three years while in active service.
- Abuse prevention initial training completed within 30 days of starting service and refresher training every three years while in active service.
- Policies read and signed on or before the first day of service.
Requirements for those with access to cash and checks, or who drive on behalf of the parish or school
For people without access to minors or vulnerable adults, but with access to cash, checks or other negotiables, a background check must be completed on or before the first day of service and every three years while in active service. This requirement is also in effect for those volunteers who drive on behalf of the parish or school.
Adult Volunteer Information and Resources
Minor Volunteer Requirements
Church Personnel Under Age 18
Minors Working with Younger Children
For our purposes, ‘minor’ is defined as any child under the age of 18. If they have reached their 18th birthday they are considered adults. Minors do NOT create Virtus profiles. (The system will not even allow them to do so.)
- All minors must sign a Code of Professional Conduct Form. Both the parent/guardian and the minor must sign/date the form verifying understanding our Archdiocesan Safe Environment policy in regards to minors who work with younger children.
- Minors age 16 – 18 (prior to 18th b-day) must apply for a background check. Their parent/guardian must sign the form giving approval for the search. Background checks for minors may not be submitted without the signature/date of parent/guardian on the form (in two places).
- Both of these forms (Code of Conduct and BGC Authorization) must be returned to the parish or school SEP coordinator for processing. The minor may not begin work until all completed forms have been received and background check resulted (if they are of age for BGC). All documentation is retained in paper form permanently.
- Minors may not work in a capacity in which they supervise children, unless they themselves are supervised by someone age 21 or older. It is the responsibility of the parish or school to ensure that adequate adult supervision is provided for the duration of the minor's work.
- When the minor reaches 18 years old they should be instructed to create their Virtus profile. The manual background check result can then be entered manually into the BGC tab in Virtus. The system will not allow them to submit another BGC if it is within the 3 years.