National and Mission Collections
There are many opportunities to support needs around the world. Below please see a list of the collections that are provided in the Archdiocese of Seattle.
The mission of the Archdiocese of the Military Services is “Serving those who serve.” The ministry of the AMS is to provide for the pastoral care of Catholics in the armed forces (at home and abroad), military academies, Veterans Affairs medical centers and civilian jobs for the federal government beyond U.S. borders — a total of 1.8 million Catholics worldwide.
Catholic Campaign for Human Development addresses the root causes of poverty in America through promotion and support of community-controlled, self-help organizations and transformative education. National grants are awarded by the U.S. bishops’ Subcommittee on CCHD with the approval of local bishops. Local, smaller, grants are awarded by the archbishop.
Each year the annual CCS Appeal for the Poor informs parishioners about the work of Catholic Community Services and Catholic Housing Services. CCS/CHS are the official outreaches of the Catholic Church in Western Washington. Every day CCS/CHS serve over 111,000 poor and vulnerable people in Western Washington through more than 175 programs. This collection is used to support programs and services in your local area, and 92 cents of every dollar goes directly to serving those in need.
Right now, over 40 percent of dioceses in the United States are considered home mission territory because they are unable to fund the essential pastoral work needed in their communities. These dioceses face challenges due to priest shortages, lack of funds, remote geography, or impoverished parishes.
Through annual grants, the Catholic Home Mission Collection funds catechesis, seminarian education, lay ministry training, Hispanic ministry and other pastoral programs. As a result of parishioners’ generosity, Catholic Home Missions impacts the lives of nearly nine million Catholics in the United States
The Catholic Relief Services collection provides parishioners with an opportunity to be neighbors to people living on the margins both here and around the world. Funds from the collection support organizations that aid victims of war and natural disaster, help resettle refugees and migrants displaced by violence and poverty, and address the pastoral needs of migrant workers, seafarers, and other people lacking stable parish communities.
Specifically, this collection provides funding for Catholic Relief Services; the USCCB Offices of International Justice and Peace, Migration and Refugee Services, and Pastoral Care for Migrants and Refugees; relief work of the Holy Father; and the Catholic Legal Immigration Network.
CRS Rice Bowl is the Lenten program of Catholic Relief Services. Through CRS Rice Bowl, faith communities in dioceses throughout the United States put their faith into action through prayer, fasting and almsgiving.
Lenten alms go to alleviate hunger and poverty in more than 100 different countries each year: 75% percent of gifts support CRS’ agriculture, health, and educational projects overseas. The other 25% of gifts is distributed as grants in Western Washington for local anti-hunger projects.
This pontifical collection is for the support of the Holy Places, but above all for those pastoral, charitable, educational and social works which the Church supports in the Holy Land for the welfare of Christians and of the local communities.
MCP is an annual program that gives mission causes an opportunity to educate about God’s work among the poor and to raise funds for the building up of the Church in mission territories, typically during weekend liturgies. The MCP assists mission-sending societies in their appeals for funds and vocations and helps connect parishes to an individual mission cause. The MCP transfers the burden of choosing from the many requests, often providing weekend help, and enabling parishioners to hear of missionary and young church experience - an opportunity that continues to help promote solidarity with the universal Church.
Northwest Catholic is the official publication of the Archdiocese of Seattle, mailed 10 times each year to every registered Catholic household in Western Washington. Its mission is to promote the new evangelization and form disciples by proclaiming the good news of Jesus Christ. A percentage of this collection goes to the USCCB's Catholic Communications Campaign, which promotes evangelization by supporting communications through television, radio, internet and other media, and through special projects of the Catholic press.
Donate to Northwest Catholic
Mission Sunday is celebrated the world over. Pope Francis is inviting the entire Church to support priests, religious and lay leaders around the world as they bring the Gospel to those most in need. Please keep the pope’s missions in your prayers.