Encounter Jesus Christ and one another.
What is Encounter?
Jesus invites all of us to have a personal relationship with him. Encounter is about entering into this relationship through real, authentic experiences and recognizing his presence in our lives and in others.
Just as the woman at the well accepted herself because of her encounter with Jesus (John 4), we will also find the same love, mercy and acceptance from a relationship with Jesus.
We all encounter Jesus in many ways, including in the sacraments, Scripture, prayer and those around us. What can you do today to encounter Jesus in a more meaningful way?
“I invite all Christians, everywhere, at this very moment, to a renewed personal encounter with Jesus Christ, or at least an openness to letting him encounter them; I ask all of you to do this unfailingly each day.”
Start with Reflection
Take an inventory of your faith. Spend a few minutes to ask yourself these questions.
Have I ever prayed to Jesus, asking for a life-giving encounter?
Do I have a relationship with Jesus Christ?
What do I notice about people who have deep relationships with God?
In what ways can I continually cultivate a close friendship with Jesus?
What can I do to prioritize my relationship with Jesus?
Encounter Christ in Prayer
- Find a quiet place where you can be contemplative to pray. Consider spending time in front of the Eucharist in adoration.
- Take time to speak to God as you would to a close friend. If you cannot think of what to say, tell God what you are feeling, what gives you hope, or what causes you anxiety. God already knows what you need (Matthew 6:8).
- Bring a challenging situation to God and ask for guidance (What is the truth of this situation? What lies do I believe?).
- Ask what you can do today to love more or to serve God’s will.
- Pray the Prayer for Pastoral Planning prayer here.
Encounter Christ in Scripture
God speaks to us through the Scriptures, and reading the Bible is a powerful way to encounter Jesus. Spend time reading the Gospels, especially the Resurrection accounts (below) and stories of people having life-changing encounters with Jesus, like Zacchaeus (Luke 19) and the Samaritan woman at the well (John 4).
Encounter Christ in the Sacraments
The Sacraments are powerful moments of encounter with Jesus and sources of grace. Living a Sacramental life is pivotal to our Catholic faith. Regular reception of the Sacraments is critical to fostering a meaningful relationship with Christ.
- Seek Jesus in the Eucharist every Sunday and even more frequently as you are able. The Mass is the "source and summit" of our Christian life.
- Go to the Sacrament of Reconciliation to receive God's abundant mercy and forgiveness. Learn more here.
- If you have not received all the Sacraments of initiation (baptism, confirmation and first Communion), or if you have been away from the Sacraments for a while, learn more here.